1. Work hard. No matter what you choose to do, work hard at it. Find the pride that comes with doing a good job. Find the right balance of independence and interdependence with those around you. Seek support where you need it, but let one of the corner stones of your life be determination and pride in a job well done.
2. Appreciate what you have. Take a moment, on a day when the clouds look like cotton candy to look at the sky. Be thankful for where you are and all you have around you. Make gratitude for the little things a part of your daily routine. Don't lose sight of what really matters.
3. Choose to be an optimist. Be the person who sees the bright spot in the most difficult of situations. Make it a habit to turn any situation upside down and find the good.
4. Take time to play. A balance between work and rest is key to a happy life. Don't forget how to play. Don't forget what life was like when you hunted for caterpillars and ladybugs.
5. Expect that you will have hard days. Be realistic and know that things will not always be easy. You will need to make sacrifices to reach your goals. These hard times will only deepen your strength and character.
6. Be humble in your accomplishments. Develop a quiet confidence. Don't boast or announce all of your achievements. Don't require a pat on the back. But do enjoy the internal rewards that come with being a hard worker, for that is the biggest payoff.